Papercut Patterns Rigel Bomber

I’ve had a hankering for a floral bomber jacket for a while and was inspired by some of the gorgeous versions of Papercut Patterns Rigel Bomber, including this very beautiful version by Sophie over at the Ada Spragg blog. I hadn’t attempted anything like this before so didn’t want to splash out on anything expensive. I ended up with a very silky, floral printed polyester fabric. It feels a lot more expensive than it is, I think all the fabric for the jacket cost less than £10.00.

Papercut Patterns Rigel Bomber Papercut Patterns Rigel Bomber


The only change I made to the pattern was to add a couple of inches to the sleeves based on what I had read about others’ experiences of making the jacket. I also added a lining and a zipper welt pocket on the inside.

Papercut Patterns Rigel Bomber


The jacket went together really easily.  This was also my first time making welt pockets. I looked at lots of different methods on the internet and cut a bunch of templates out of calico and just tried them all out till I found a way that worked for me; the practice was also helpful. They’re not quite perfect but I’m pretty happy with them.

Papercut Patterns Rigel Bomber


I added interlining made out of the cotton quilt batting I had lying around so it’s a wee bit cosier.  I did this by cutting it in 1 continuous piece for the jacket body- fronts and back. Then I stitched in the ditch along the side seams to attach it. This meant no bulk at the seams and a nice smooth finish.


This was really made as a wearable toile and I have  worn it loads. I had intended to make it again out of a very beautiful piece of Liberty silk I have. Haven’t quite got round to that as yet….

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s