Merchant and Mills Dress Shirt in Liberty cord

I love several of the Merchant and Mills patterns and their gorgeous website. The Dress Shirt is the first of their designs I’ve attempted. I knew the pattern ran quite big based on what I’d seen others write about it so I cut the smallest size in calico to make a toile. This was a very good move since it was huge and looked more like a nightshirt than a dress on me.

I made quite a lot of changes to get the fit the way I wanted:

  • Shortened the length
  • Reduced the width of the dress front and bib
  • Removed the gathering from the back
  • Lowered the front neckline

  • Added back darts
  • Added in seam pockets
  • Shaped the side seams in more
  • Removed some width at the shoulder

I think that’s it….

I had to cut a second toile to check the fit which was much better after all that.

I chose a gorgeous, soft, baby wale Liberty cord with a contrasting single colour cord for the piping (another addition), yoke lining, pocket bags and bias binding. The dress is really easy to put together with great instructions. My yoke on the back is slightly squint but not enough to stop me wearing it- a very silly mistake but I couldn’t get more fabric to cut another.

I used French seams on the inside, including the pockets and used bias binding around the bib and armhole seams so it looks almost as nice on the inside as it does on the outside.

Merchant and Mills Dress shirt Liberty cord

This is a great casual dress to wear and one I will definitely make again, maybe a lined, indigo blue crepe de chine version…

Merchant and Mills Dress shirt Liberty cord

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s