The top part of this is the Grainline Linden and the bottom is the Named Patterns Talvikki. It’s made in the most beautiful Atelier Brunette French Terry in Twinkle Night (250 g per m) bought from M is for Make. It is seriously lovely fabric to work with and wear. My version of the Talvikki was helpful in working out the position of the vents and front and back lengths.
Here’s the how:
- I chose the size based on the finished bust size of the Linden. My full bust is 35″ but I selected the size 4 rather than 6 which still gave a generous 5.5″ of ease.
- I ran up a quick wearable toile with plenty of extra length then compared the position of the vents and finished length front and back with the Talvikki.
- I worked out that the vents needed to start 8.75″ below the underarm seam and traced the shaping of the vents and curved hem of the Talvikki onto the Linden pieces. Then cut a full set of pattern pieces to squeeze the most out of this very lovely fabric.
- It was all sewn on the overlocker using the Linden instructions for the sleeves, neckband and side seams and Talvikki instructions for the vents and hems. I added bartacks at the top of the vents again for a bit of extra reinforcement.
- The cuffs were lengthened and thumb holes added. On me, to get them to finish at my knuckles, this meant extending the length of the cuff piece to 10.5″ for a finished length of 5″.
- I used more or less the same method as I did when making the Agnes top. This time I used lightning stitch to sew the cuffs together and create the 1.75″ thumbhole which starts 5/8″ from the bottom edge of each one.
- The stitching line is just tapered off at the edge of each end of the thumbhole for a neat finish.
- The cuffs were overlocked to the sleeve with the thumb-hole positioned 1.5″ to the side of the underarm seam.
- And… it was quick…really quick….tracing to toile to finished garment in one evening. There will be more… very probably many more.