It’s a Closet Case Kalle shirt. Another Closet Case piece of genius. This is the shirt version in a crisp cotton lawn from Guthrie & Ghani. It could be argued that my version is a slight homage to the Hawaiian shirt but I’m completely ok with that. 🙂
Closet Case is one of my very favourite pattern companies- the combination of style and fabulous pattern drafting is a winner for me… see my embroidered Kalle dress, navy pinstripe Kalle, silk Kalle one and two, Ebony tee and dress, houndstooth Clare Coat, Carolyn pj bottoms in a knit and a pair in flamingo cotton. I also have 2 pairs of Ginger jeans which I’ve never got round to blogging because so many others have done it so well but I’m wearing one of them in the pictures here.
Here’s the how:
- After some experimentation I traced off a full set of size 8 pieces which is in line with my measurements (35″ bust). There’s a lot of ease in this pattern and I really like the boxy shape for a shirt.
- I used the popover placket (personal preference) instead of full length one.
- Changes made-
- 3″ added to front length – the lazy way, didn’t use a full width piece of paper
- 1″ added to back length – also the lazy way
- Reduced the width of the side split
- Realigned the facing pieces because I added different amounts front and back so they join at a different place at the side seams.
- Approx 2.5″ added to sleeve on front piece, back piece and yoke (don’t forget to add to the yoke too) because I’m not good with sleeveless or really short sleeves.
- Length of cuffs increased so I can fold them up.
- I cut out with a full set of pattern pieces and needed 1.5m of this fabric which was 142cm wide. This easily accommodated the extra length added. The pattern says 1.6m for this size.
- The buttons came from The Cloth House on a London visit and are sewed on with the wrong side up because I liked the slight touches of red and yellow.
The length of this is just how I wanted it. It’s a beautiful pattern, a totally different shape and look to the Grainline Archer. I love the big pleat in the back which gives a floaty balloon shape to the back and the casual styling of the sleeves. Next up will be a dress length version in red gingham shirting (also from The Cloth House) then one in silk or similar for a wedding later in the summer. It will look great with heels!
It’s a happy shirt (worn with my Ginger jeans)!